Every year, there are a number of opportunities for LARIA members to help lead the organisation. These include: supporting the LARIA Council; helping to organise or speak at events; contributing to developing a vibrant local network; and liaising with key stakeholders. Please consider taking an active role in leading LARIA this year, or encouraging others within your team and organisation to do so. Your help would be much appreciated and in return could deliver real benefits for other members, your organisation and your own professional development and interests. There are not enough people who take a leadership role in the research and intelligence world – help us to help you to provide that leadership!
For LARIA, volunteering helps ensure good governance and that we stay in touch with the needs of members, as well as provide capacity to help our members. The more active members we have the more we can achieve.
We know that time is precious. Few of us are twiddling our thumbs waiting for more things to do. However, the commitment to help lead LARIA can be part of the day job. It has been included by many volunteers as part of their performance objectives in terms of their own professional development. It also shows a commitment by your organisation to the use of research and intelligence. The contacts you make, and the lessons learned, by operating at a leadership level in LARIA can help deliver real results to other LARIA members, your own organisation and you personally.
- At the 2017 AGM in May 2017 there will be elections for the Chair, Vice-Chair and Secretary officer roles, Trustees and for Council Members. For a Council Member the commitment in time is around two days a year, and all meetings can be done remotely by phone. Existing post holders would be very happy to discuss the commitment required if you are considering standing for these roles. The position of Secretary is vacant along with a number of Council Member positions. The LARIA Council is also happy to consider the co-opting of members throughout the year.
- In all parts of the country we have a local LARIA group which you can be involved in. These groups arrange local networking events and other activities.
- We have an active events group if you wish to be involved in helping to organise the Spring and Autumn conferences
- Our 2017 LARIA Research Impact Awards will be launched soon. Maybe you would like to volunteer to be a judge?
- We are looking to develop a LARIA communications group which you could help establish. This group will guide all aspects of our communications including the website, social media, emails and publications. We are particularly keen to develop ideas around peer reviewing articles
- Our proposed merger with the Social Services Research Group will establish for the first time a topic specific activity group. We would welcome you joining this group and are open to ideas on new topic specific groups we could develop
If you would like to put yourself forward, or have any queries, please email email@example.com and we will put you in touch with the existing volunteers to advise you on what the role entails. We do hope that you are able to help lead LARIA this year and look forward to working with you.