- To encourage communication between those involved in Research and Intelligence in Local Government and other local public services and, in particular, to aid the sharing of technical knowledge and research methods.
- To promote a wider understanding in Local Government and other local public services of the Research and Intelligence function and its application and to foster its further development.
- To improve research and intelligence practice in Local Government and other local public services.
- To provide a Research, Intelligence and information management viewpoint to national and international fora.
- To represent the interests of Research and Intelligence practitioners with the local authority organisations, other local public services, government departments and other research agencies on issues of mutual concern and interest.
- To promote activities which further the aims and enlarge the membership of LARIA including without limitation conferences, seminars and events, publications, the LARIA website, social media and all forms of publicity either independently or in conjunction with others, and in particular the circulation of a regular news sheet reporting on and promoting the activities of LARIA to members, potential members and all interested persons and organisations.
- To undertake or commission research and set up working groups to investigate areas of interest.
- To promote information and knowledge sharing among local research and intelligence professionals through the website, social media, events and LARIA News.
- To encourage the continual professional development of members, which may include the LARIA Council agreeing a set of criteria to issue postnominal letters
- Any such other activities as are from time to time deemed to be appropriate to further the purposes of LARIA.
Our governing body is the LARIA Council. We also have a number of Activity and local groups. To see copies of the minutes of Council and AGM meetings please log-in to our member pages. You will also find there copies of our financial accounts.
Read more about our history. In 2008 we merged with ALGIS (Affiliation of Local Government Information Specialists). This had been formed in 1990 previously under the umbrella of the Institute of Information Scientists. In 2013 we formally merged with BURISA (British Urban and Regional Information Systems Association) from January 2013. Both associations were established in the early 1970s and pursued many shared interests and objectives.
We accept members from both public and private sector bodies. You can also join as an individual. Our membership levels and the way we work puts networking and collaborative working at the heart of what we do. Find more details about LARIA membership and benefits
Our office address is LARIA, Tower House, Mill Lane, Off Askham Fields Lane, Askham Bryan, York, YO23 3NU and you can contact us by phone 0845 676 9598 or send us an email