Our Officers run LARIA as an organisation. They are elected at our AGM and their role is set out in our rules of association.
The time commitment we’ve agreed for elected positions is for three council meetings per year, one away day and the council and AGM meetings at conference. We have dial-in facilities for all meetings and some meetings are solely teleconference. Officers are expected to help lead LARIA and contribute outside of formal meetings but even for them the total commitment should be in line with other similar professional development opportunities.
A similar time commitment should be expected for a range of other ways you can be actively involved in the work of LARIA, from helping out in local groups to elections to the LARIA Council. But whatever time you can give, even a few hours, there are opportunities to be involved.
The main roles and responsibilities of the Officers are:
Chair (and Vice Chair)
- Chair every meeting of LARIA Council and LARIA Strategy and Policy
- Consulted by the Secretary on all matters other than the day-to-day administration of LARIA
- Plenary powers to take immediate action in all matters of urgency effecting LARIA, reporting such actions for approval to the next meeting of LARIA Council
- Be a point of contact for representatives of other organisations
- Promote LARIA to other organisations and members
- In addition, the Chair (and Vice Chair) is an active volunteer and often chairs sessions of the conference, is involved in the LARIA awards, communications and other activities.
Secretary (and Vice Secretary)
- Responsible for the day-to-day running of LARIA
- Attends all meetings of the LARIA Council and of the Policy and Strategy Group and records correctly the names of the officers there present, and the minutes of the proceedings for audit
- Give due notice of all meetings and keep the accounts, documents and papers of LARIA
- Ensure the Rules of Association are followed and referenced in relevant decisions
Treasurer (and Vice Treasurer)
- Responsible for the sound financial management of LARIA including projecting future spend
- Ensuring clear and accurate financial reporting