The Hilton Hotel
Wednesday, 3 February, 09:30 – 12:30
We warmly invite you to attend the ONS Economic Forum to be held in Manchester on Wednesday 3 February 2016.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) is responsible for producing many of the principal economic statistics that are used to report developments in the UK economy. We are keen to meet users of these statistics, and anybody who is interested in the behaviour of the UK economy, in order to understand how best we can fulfil your statistical requirements and help you make better decisions.
ONS has recently started holding a successful quarterly Economic Forum in London aimed at City commentators, business analysts, media, and academic researchers, as well as government and other decision makers. It provides an opportunity to discuss the state of the economy in the light of relevant ONS economic statistics, including GDP, the labour market, prices and the public finances.
We are now extending these events to other parts of the UK in order to connect with a wider range of analysts and decision-makers. One of the first such events will be held in Manchester on Wednesday 3 February and will provide attendees with the opportunity:
- To hear what ONS statistics have to say about the UK economy
- To ask questions about ONS economic statistics, what they mean and how they are compiled
- To offer views on shortcomings of existing statistics and how they can be improved
- To find out what statistics are available for research purposes and how to access them
The agenda will include the following:
UK and regional economic statistics – What ONS economic statistics say about the UK economy and the regions and countries within it
What’s New – a look back over recent ONS economic statistics and developments, and forward to forthcoming publications. This session will include:
- Recent developments in the UK economy
- Trade, foreign direct investment, and the balance of payments
- Analysis of earnings growth using ASHE survey results
- Family Spending survey – headline messages
- Wealth and assets survey
- Bean Review – interim report and next steps
- Blue Book 2016 changes
- Use of VAT administrative data
- Construction output and prices developments
- New ONS website plans
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org , providing details of any accessibility requirements.
We are keen to tailor the ONS Economic Forum agenda to the issues that are of most interest to you. If you have suggestions for topics to be covered at this or at a future ONS Economic Forum, please email them to email@example.com . Similarly if you have any questions about economic statistics, you can email these to the same address and we shall answer them as soon as possible.
We hope you will value this opportunity to hear about the latest economic statistics and discover how they can help you make better decisions. We look forward to welcoming you on Wednesday 3 February.